Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gone Baby Gone

Coming home from a destination you are not crazy about is still a bummer, because well, short of camping out at Motel 6, it is hard to beat daily housekeeping. Plus I had mounting anxiety as to what exactly I would be coming home to- my mother who had never watched my children for more than 2 hours was at the helm here, and I know what her house looks like, where there are NO children present. Nothing could have prepared me for what I found once walking in the door. Piles of toys, cloths, books, and DVDs (ah!), precariously strewn about, dishes haphazardly stacked in the kitchen, and children still awake at 11PM watching a movie in their bed (double AH!). Perhaps I did not make a convincing enough attempt to internalize my panic attack, because to top it off, my own daughters were actually upset to see us returning, and were clinging to Mumsie desperate for her to stay. So, I guess children really do prefer to eat junk and watch TV until their eyes bug out, and not have to tidy their rooms... who'd of thought? But far worse than any of those things however, was the announcement that came next."Mommy guess what guess what? My TOOTH is loose!". Muuwahuuuh? "What? No WAY!?" I timidly exclaim trying to feign my enthusiasm. After double and triple checking trying to disprove her theory that yes indeed she was getting older, I had to face the truth. My baby isn't a baby anymore. My eyes gave her a glow of pride, but privately, a little piece of my heart broke. There is something so ultimate about this milestone, and I feel the pull into uncharted territory. I will be concerning myself with braces and training bras before I know it. There is a sure possibility that I am over reacting and that these things are still worries away, but what is the hallmark phrase of parenthood- it all goes so fast.

Here is an incredibly simple (and fast) chili recipe that sustained us for the two days it took us to put the house back together!

Turkey Poblano Chili

2 lbs ground turkey thighs (thighs are full of flavor and are far less expensive, but certainly feel free to sub in breast meat or ground chicken)
2 TBS olive oil
3 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
4 TBS chili powder
2 cans kidney and or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

-heat the oil in a large pot over medium high and cook the peppers and onion for several minutes until soft
-add the turkey and brown, breaking up any large pieces, about 7 or 8 minutes
-add the garlic, chili powder, and a few sprinkles of salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute
-add the remaining ingredients
-bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low, and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes

top with some sour cream or plain yogurt and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment